This year the European Circuit hosted its Annual Conference in Stockholm on the 20th – 21st of September 2018, with our key conference focus being e-Justice.
For the first time this year we offered an additional add on option for Thursday 20th of September, which was an Arbitration event with a fantastic panel of speakers & moderators. This event was hosted by Arbitration Ireland, the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce & The European Circuit.
As per tradition, our annual conference began with a drinks reception at the British Ambassador’s residence, which were generously sponsored by Vinge.
THURSDAY 20TH SEPTEMBER 2018
Arbitration Event Hosted by the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, Arbitration Ireland & The European Circuit
The stimulating discussion covered various themes, including “The future of European investment disputes” and “Cross cultural teamwork in international disputes.” Judge Christopher Vajda, Judge of the European Court of Justice was one of the moderators, as was Mr Justice David Barniville SC, Designated Arbitration Judge of the High Court of Ireland. They were joined by an impressive panel of speakers, as our programme outlines below.
SPEAKERS FOR THURSDAY INCLUDED:
- MARLEN ESTÉVEZ (PARTNER WITHIN THE LITIGATION AND ARBITRATION LAW DEPARTMENT AT ROCA JUNYENT)
- GORDON MARDELL QC, 20 ESSEX STREET, SPECIALIST IN INTERNATIONAL LITIGATION AND ARBITRATION
- BARBARA DOHMANN QC, BLACKSTONE CHAMBERS, SPECIALIST IN INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION.
- COLM Ó HOISÍN SC, BAR OF IRELAND, ARBITRATION IRELAND
- PHILIPPA CHARLES, HEAD OF INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION AT STEWARTS LAW LLP
- COLLEEN HANLEY, 20 ESSEX STREET, BARRISTER WITH PARTICULAR FOCUS ON SHIPPING, COMMODITIES AND INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION
- JAMES HOPE, HEAD OF DISPUTE RESOLUTION AT VINGE
- PATRICIA SHAUGHNESSY, STOCKHOLM UNIVERSITY
13:45 – REGISTRATION
14:00 – OPENING ADDRESS – Kristin Campbell Wilson, Deputy Secretary General, Swedish Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Institute
(Credit photo: Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber)
14:30 – 14:45 – THE FUTURE OF EUROPEAN INVESTMENT DISPUTES
Moderator – Judge Christopher Vajda, Judge of the European Court of Justice
SPECIFIC DISCUSSIONS INCLUDED: Post Brexit dispute resolution mechanism; ongoing work of UNCITRAL in relation to the EU proposal for a Multilateral Investment Court; Relationship of FTA and BIT/MIT law with EU law – where are we now?
16:15 – 17:45 THE ARBITRATION MELTING POT: CROSS CULTURAL TEAMWORK IN INTERNATIONAL DISPUTES
Moderator: Mr Justice David Barniville SC, Designated Arbitration Judge of the High Court of Ireland
SPECIFIC TOPICS INCLUDED: Arbitrator perspective; Practitioner perspective; The Institution: Stockholm Chamber of Commerce
18:15 Drinks reception at British Ambassador’s residence, generously sponsored by Vinge.
FRIDAY 21ST SEPTEMBER 2018 – EUROPEAN CIRCUIT ANNUAL CONFERENCE
Hosted by The European Circuit at the Swedish Bar Association
The Friday morning began with a Court Visit before registration followed by a variety of topics including “Litigating Big Data” and “Digital Justice: Tools & Challenges”, with speakers including Sir Ernest Ryder (Senior President of Tribunals), AG Eleanor Sharpston (Advocate General at the European Court of Justice), David Cairns (British Ambassador to Sweden) and Seamus Woulfe SC (Attorney General in Ireland)
We closed the conference with drinks, dinner & discussion at Grodan Restaurant.
SPEAKERS & MODERATORS FOR FRIDAY INCLUDE:
- AG ELEANOR SHARPSTON, ADVOCATE GENERAL AT THE EUROPEAN COURT OF JUSTICE
- SIR ERNEST RYDER, SENIOR PRESIDENT OF TRIBUNALS
- ROBERT O’DONOGHUE QC, BRICK COURT CHAMBERS
- MICHAEL COLLINS SC, BAR OF IRELAND
- JAANUS TEHVER, VICE CHAIRMAN OF THE ESTONIAN BAR ASSOCIATION
- CHARLES CIUMEI QC, ESSEX COURT CHAMBERS
- RUPERT PAINES, 11KBW
- EILEEN BARRINGTON SC, BAR OF IRELAND
- FERGUS RANDOLPH QC, BRICK COURT CHAMBERS
08:45 – 10:30 – COURT VISIT, SVEA COURT OF APPEAL
11:00 – 11:40AM REGISTRATION & OPENING ADDRESS – Seamus Woulfe SC, Attorney General in Ireland
11:40 – 12:00PM – KEYNOTE ADDRESS – “MAINTAINING & DEVELOPING JUSTICE IN EUROPE” – AG Eleanor Sharpston, Advocate General at the European Court of Justice
12:00 – 13:30 – DIGITAL JUSTICE: TOOLS & CHALLENGES
13:30 – 14:30PM – LUNCH
14:30 – 15:45 – LITIGATING BIG DATA
16:15 – 17:15 – GDPR & E-PRIVACY – TOP TIPS FOR ADVOCATES
17:15 – AGM
19:00PM – DINNER & DISCUSSION – GRODAN, GREV TUREGATAN 16, STOCKHOLM
If you are interested in becoming a member of the European Circuit, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] .The next annual conference will take place in Rome – look out for details on our website.
Credit photo: Abigail Holt, Amy Scollan and Michael Wilkinson. We are grateful to all speakers for allowing publication.
Posted by: Cécile Perrault